1925 – 1945
The Founding Phase: LANZ on the Road to International Fame
In 1925 Fritz Mahler decided to leave the enterprise but Josef LANZ had other ideas in mind and resolved to expand the business. During the years that followed he established his own workshops including a saddler`s workshop, shoemaker`s shop and tailoring business. In the course of time he brought the characteristic LANZ style to the point of perfection, combining country traditions with classical flair. This combination unleashed enthusiasm on the part of international festival-goers and local in-store clientele alike.
In the mid 1930s Josef LANZ left other members of the family to run the business and emigrated to America where he set um new firms, initially in New York followed by a store in Los Angeles. Thus, a veritable fashion empire emerged in next to no time. The new stores bore the same distinctive emblem as the Salzburg enterprise. This hallmark soon became known as the „Lanz Heart”.
Just before the outbreak of World War 2, the headquarters in Salzburg´s Imbergstrasse and the main store in Schwarz-strasse 4 were purchased and a branch establishment opened up in Vienna. Notwithstanding the chaos that prevailed during the war, the enterprise managed to survive the ordeal unscathed.